The Board of Regents for the Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical Colleges was created on July 11, 1944, by Section 31a, Article 6, of the Oklahoma Constitution.
The Board has the supervision, management and control of five institutions, including Connors State College, Langston University, Northeastern Oklahoma Agricultural and Mechanical College, Oklahoma Panhandle State University, and Oklahoma State University and its constituent agencies which include the Agricultural Experiment Station, the Agricultural Extension Division, Oklahoma State University Institute of Technology-Okmulgee, the Oklahoma State University Center for Veterinary Health Sciences, Oklahoma State University-Oklahoma City, the Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences, and Oklahoma State University-Tulsa.
The Board, also referred to as the OSU/A&M Board of Regents, consists of nine members, one of whom is the President of the State Board of Agriculture. The remaining eight members are appointed by the Governor, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate. Except for the President of the State Board of Agriculture, Board members are appointed for eight-year terms to numbered positions on the Board representing Congressional Districts One through Five and three at-large appointments.
The Board's powers to govern are constitutional and include, but are not limited to, those enumerated in Title 70, Oklahoma Statutes, Section 3412, and other laws and judicial decisions of the State of Oklahoma.
Its functions are legislative in the establishing of all general policies affecting the institutions it governs, their relation one to another, and the prescribing of such rules and regulations as may bring these policies into effect. Its judicial functions are limited to acting as a court of final settlement for matters that cannot be satisfactorily adjusted by the presidents of the colleges. Its executive power is delegated in most instances to the presidents of the institutions and their authorized administrators.